Monday, August 1, 2011

10 years ago today!

Ten years ago today, I packed up a moving truck with the help of my friends (Edith and Joey) and moved out of Chicagoland. I moved to beautiful sunny, Albuquerque for school. Here I am with an Associate, Bachelors, and Masters degree later, married to the man of my dreams, mommy to the sweetest baby girl (who celebrated her 10 month birthday today) and a brand new teacher! Wow! A lot happens in 10 years!

Well, a lot happened today too! I checked out the keys to my classroom.
I marched my happy behind to my classroom. (Ok, so I got a little lost on the way... but I found it eventually!) I unlocked my door and this is what I saw: (The power was off in the school due to some construction so I couldn't turn on my lights) 
Good grief that is a lot of furniture! 

Hurray! My Promethean Board- I am so excited to integrate technology into teaching! 

The other side of the mountain of furniture.

I must have walked around the mountain of furniture 100 times. Did I mention that the power was out? Which meant there was no air conditioning. Thankfully, it did eventually come on although I hadn't thought to flip the switch to turn the air on in my room until the last hour I was there. (DUH!) 

I spent a good portion of my time trying to remember all that I had read in my Debbie Diller "Spaces and Places" book. I wish I could get rid of the rickety old teacher's desk as it was a pain in the you know what to move into position and I wasn't all that sold on it in the first place. So I had "Library, whole group lessons, small group lessons, listening center, and Computer table" spaces all in my head. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I forgot a writing work station... but that is ok, I want to move a few more things still. 

I put up fabric and boarders on most of my bulletin boards already and I even borrowed the vacuum from the custodian to clean up all of the treasures the little one would be sure to find when I bring her tomorrow! I have decided to employ a young baby sitter to come with us tomorrow so that I can focus on getting more accomplished. My niece is going into second grade and I am hoping that seeing what teachers go through to set up a classroom will give her a little excitement for the upcoming school year. I was going to take some "This is what I did all day" pictures, but 5 hours in a hot classroom moving furniture can really exhaust an already tired mommy. 

Tune in tomorrow for more in "a day in the life as a new teacher"! 
Christy

4 comments:

Mercedes said...

A whole room to decorate for kiddos how daunting and fun at the same time. I would love to see pictures when you are done. Oh by the way I love your owls!

Pamela said...

Sounds like fun! That was me 3 years ago. I had the opposite problem though . . . I have the smallest kinder classroom and had NO furniture. I still scrounge for storage space every year. Have fun!!! Definitely employ the babysitter. Thinking of taking my mom one of these day to do the same. Does your little one walk yet? Mine is crawling but with the laminate floors I don't let her roam around so it's hard to take her, but don't want to leave her. We have to savor the summer we get to spend with them :)

Mrs. S. said...

Oh yes! Savor every moment of your time with your precious little ones! My son is 22 now and I cherish each and every minute I spent with him. I am 48 and I will not have 30 years in toward retirement until I am 63 because I took five years off when he was a baby...but I have NO regrets! I love teaching so much, I think they'll probably have a hard time getting rid of me in 15 years... ;)

Melly<><

Second Grade Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

The Yellow Rocking Chair

Anonymous said...

It will get there soon! I am also new to this! :)

✿Brittney

Teach.Pray.Love

Post a Comment